Terms & Conditions

MDEA Certification

Make an On-Line Payment

Commercial SAP Assessors

Contact MDEA

MDEA Payments

MDEA Home Page








Energy Assessment of New Build Property - EPC

Current new laws now define the requirements for Energy Assessors for New Build Homes & Dwellings

SAP - or Standard Assessment Procedure is the current method used to obtain energy rating for new build homes or dwellings. The procedure is used to determine heat losses and thermal characteristics of the property by examining the building's plans, the construction materials used in the build and additional factors including space and water heating.

SAP ratings are scored on a scale from 1 to 100 where 1 is the worst and 100 will indicate no heating/hot water cost. It is therefore based on the annual energy costs for space and water heating.

Target Emission Rate

A Target Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (TER) has to be calculated within the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP). The Carbon Index is on a scale of 0.0 to 10.0, based on the annual CO2 emissions associated with space and water heating. SAP Ratings are used to demonstrate compliance with building regulations for dwellings - Part L (England and Wales). To produce the required energy rating you will need to appoint a qualified SAP Assessor. SAP is based on a notional dwelling built to the 2002 standards with a target reduction of 20%. The actual Dwelling Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (DER) must then be no worse than the TER. The new SAP 2005 incorporates all these calculations.

Communities & Local Govenment (CLG)

The CLG authority has stated the following:

From the 6 April 2008 all new homes will require an EPC and Recommendation Report when physically complete.

The EPC will be based on the SAP rating which is currently required to comply with Building Regulations. This demonstrates that new homes meet the targets for energy performance that are part of the Building Regulations.

The EPC must be produced by an Energy Assessor who is accredited for On Construction Energy Assessment. The EPC is based on SAP rather than RdSAP which is used for existing homes.

When the home is physically complete, an EPC should be produced and given to the owner of the home. Building Control will not issue a completion certificate until they are sure this has been done.

How does this affect you...

If you are marketing a home off-plan, you will need to have a PEA (Predicted Energy Assessment) in the HIP to provide to potential buyers. Once the home is physically complete the PEA in the HIP should be replaced with an EPC and Recommendation Report.

PEAs should be based on the predicted SAP rating for the home. This will be available from calculations done at the design stage and is a number between 1 and 100. A spreadsheet template is available to be able to represent the rating in a graphical form for potential buyers.

Each building within a development will require its own EPC (although reports can be cloned for identical dwellings and will not need to be inspected individually).

An On Construction Energy Assessor will not need to visit the property to produce an EPC. The EPC will be the result of the As Built check which is an extension of the SAP calculation needed for Building Control.

Find Out More...

MDEA are able to offer an off-plan service Nationwide and are also able to assess dwellings under slightly differing regulations in Northern Ireland and Scotland.To find out more about how MDEA can help you to obtain all neccessary On Construction Building Energy Performance Certification, anywhere within the UK, please go through to our Contact page.





I Contact I Terms & Conditions I Certification I Links I Payment I Home I Commercial I On Construction I

The 'MDEA' web site accepts no liability for committments made, products purchased or services signed up to through the links contained within the site or any websites produced or managed by MDEA or CopeNoble Associates. By using this website you agree to accept the privacy policy and confirm that you have read and understood the contents of the Conditions page in it's entirety. You also accept that our policy or policies may change with time. If you have any technical or viewing queries please link through to the Problems page where you will find some helpful information.